Or, why do other cultures not hate children?
It seems like Americans in the Current Year are staunchly opposed to having children.
- We are opposed to getting married early (which is necessary to have lots of legitimate children).
- We are opposed to having children before attaining “financial security,” (which delays children).
- We are strongly in favor of pornography (which blunts the desire for sex, which lowers the odds of producing children).
- We are strongly in favor of using contraception (which prevents children).
- We are in favor of abortion (which kills existing children).
Do I need to continue? No? I will anyway.
- We are strongly in favor of spending enormous amounts of money on those children we do have (which lowers the incentive to have more children, since money is not infinite).
- We legally require parents to be responsible for their children well past the age of maturity (which lowers the incentive to have children).
- We are strongly in favor of personal entertainment, travel, and career success (which all are more difficult with children around, thus lowering the incentive to have children).
- We are strongly opposed to children doing productive things, like jobs, or real education, or chores (which lowers the incentive to have children).
- We are strongly opposed to female submission to men (which reduces women’s attractiveness, and reduces their attraction to men, which reduces sex occurrence, which reduces children).
- We are strongly opposed to allowing children to roam (which requires more parental energy per child, which lowers the incentive to have children).
- We no longer expect our children to care for us in our old age, but rather expect our retirement accounts to do it (which reduces the need for children).
This is a lot of values we hold, which conflict with or inhibit our ability to have children. Where did these desires come from? How could these desires be socially adaptive in any Darwinian sense? How can our society grow, or even survive if we are so adamantly anti-children? Are not children the future of any coherent, continuous society?
It’s easy to answer to why we hate children. “We have abandoned tradition.” “We depend on technology instead of humans.” “We are dealing with technology like contraception that we did not evolve for.” All these are true, as far as they go. However, the overriding cause, and most fundamental problem to the whole of society is our abandonment of Catholic Christianity as the motivating force of society.
But I fear that even a revival of Catholicism would not save us. We cannot rewind time and magically replace all the kids we skipped out on having for the last few decades.